Sunday, June 12, 2011

Hungry for Mom's best eggrolls! June 12, 2011

    One of the greatest memories I have as a young girl is growing up back in the 80's while we were living abroad in England.  My mom would make homemade egg rolls...Yummy!  My mouth is watering right now as I type away!  Of course, the memory revolved around food. Playing outside in the field in front of our house... that's when kids played outside from the rising of the sun until the moon and stars came out. All the while my mom was busy slaving away preparing these finger lickin good egg rolls. I was busy as a bee having fun playing. Oh! how I wish you could taste them, I promise you would be hooked from the very  first bite and begging for just one more!  Now these were not just any ordinary egg rolls they were extraordinary...it was her very own creation. My mom was fearless in the kitchen, always trying new things and experimenting, that is how these amazing egg rolls came to be! Thank goodness for me and my mouth watering taste buds. As I played outside the aroma of these tasty egg rolls would begin to drift my way. I knew at this very moment my mom would be waiting for me to come crashing in the front door begging for the first one.  She would grab a paper towel and wrap one up for me, keeping it from burning my hand because it just came right out of the hot  frying pan.  I could not wait to dive into that first bite, I had no patients to wait for it to cool down, that is why it would always leave my tongue a little burnt.  It did not deter me from coming in for more!  Still to this day I crave them. How I wish I could turn back the clock of time to that place that is so vivid in my mind...to  be a child again without a care in the world. The memories we have can take us to so many different places and times in our lives...they can be happy, sad and joyous.  I am thankful for them all because they have made me who I am today!  Take time to sit and be still and think about that one memory that is so bright in your mind that brings you such happiness!  I do believe memories are a precious gift from God that we should keep locked deep within our hearts....allow them out at that moment when you need them the most!
Smile and dance like a rock star! Beck

1 comment: