Saturday, June 11, 2011

LIVERMUSH....To be or not to be is the ?? June 11, 2011

Afternoon Peeps,
    Raise your hand if you have ever tried livermush.  I can now say after 5 years of living in North Carolina I finally jumped out of the box and went for it.  Oh! yes, I was scared!!!  The first bite took me off guard as it hit my taste buds and sent my gag reflex on high alert! I had to stop for a second, and get a hold of myself... I didn't stop chewing.  I swallowed it with one big gulp... Still not sure if I was in shock over the taste, but for some crazy reason I go in for a second bite. My mind was in conflict with my taste buds.....was I enjoying the flavor of this crispy fried livermush? I am assuming my face was telling it's own story, saying please stop while you are ahead ...of course at that moment, I was told I was not eating it the right way. Did not know there was a right way or a wrong way to eat livermush..gee! What do I know coming from the North...Gotta love my Southern buddy for setting me straight ... I was told to put some grits (Yuck) on it and top it with some scrambled eggs...not so sure what I was getting myself into, so I just went for it and I have to say it did not make it taste any better. I am so not a grits girl, why I thought it would be so much better is beyond me!  A thought popped into my head...why not make your own creation...it was at that moment that I grabbed a buttery piece of toast, plopped that not so tasty livermush on top, then soaked it in a bath of silky sausage gravy...I dig in for a bite of this southern cuisine, and I have to say, I love the way the gravy drowned out the flavor of the livermush...not so bad! The risk we take to discover new flavors....You have to at least try it!  Just go for it and try something new. You will be surprised at what you may find actually very tasty. Pick up that fork or spoon and dive in!!! Thanks to Jeffro, my livermush buddy.
     Smile!!! Dance like a Rock Star! Beck

No comments:

Post a Comment